Perpetual Pavement Award
The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) has the record of 14 National Perpetual Pavement Awards over the past 14 years.
The criteria for this prestigious national award are pavement sections that are 35 years or older, have not had major structural failure, have on average at least 13 years between overlays, and should demonstrate excellence in design, quality in construction and value to the traveling public (see www.AsphaltRoads.org). The figure below shows the number of Perpetual Pavement Awards per states or province.
The 2015 award winning project (TH 71 North of Bemidji) is an example of design and endorsement of long-life, perpetual asphalt pavement in Minnesota. The initial construction of the TH 71 alignment was in 1977.
This 3.24 mile long segment of TH 71 is a major route for daily commuting and truck traffic. Thanks to the progressive vision and partnering efforts of agency and industry representatives, this project (TH 71) has demonstrated outstanding design, construction, and performance value for 48 years of service to the traveling public of Minnesota. Through projects such as this, Minnesota played an outstanding role in the history of transportation, technological change, and asphalt construction. Congratulations to the Minnesota Department of Transportation!
Work Zone Safety Award
This is the 28th Annual Work Zone Safety Award, which has been handed out since 1989 and is a joint effort between the Mn/DOT Offices of Construction and Traffic Engineering.
Two awards were presented this year.
Static Low Volume category which has an ADT Less than 10,000 ADT
The Winner is SP 6910-98, in District 1 Duluth, TH 23 Bridge and approaches over the St. Louis River in Fond du Lac
• An accelerated contract time that was based on a six day week with extended hours allowed completion of this project in one season.
• Traffic flow was restricted to a single lane controlled by temporary traffic signals.
• Portable Changeable Message Signs were used to communicate the travel delay to motorists.
• Portable Concrete Barrier was used to provide positive protection to the work crews.
• There was daily coordination between the Chief Inspector and the Contractor for all issues including traffic control. All devices were in good to excellent condition. No crashes were experienced on this project.
Static High Volume category which has an ADT more than 10,000 ADT
The Winner is SP 7380-239, in District 3, TH 94 Reconstruction from St Cloud to Collegeville
• An Intelligent Work Zone System was used to encourage use of the Zipper Merge strategy and to warn of slow and stopped traffic.
• Extraordinary Enforcement by the Minnesota State Patrol was utilized extensively on Fridays and Sundays due to heavy traffic volumes.
• Portable Changeable Message Signs were used extensively to provide advance notice of traffic impacts, closed ramps, alternate routes to local festivals, and water on the road from this year’s heavy rainfall.
• There was daily coordination between the Chief Inspector and the Contractor for all issues including traffic control. All devices were in good to excellent condition.
Asphalt Paving Awards
A “Merit Award” program was initiated in 1962 and has had a significant effect on the quality of construction by publicly honoring the “Best Projects” in a variety of categories each year. In 1999 it was decided that the Annual Asphalt Conference sponsored by MAAPT and the MAPA Annual Meeting would be tied back-to-back. Therefore, the awards program was also reviewed for this joint social/ banquet/ awards ceremony from 2000 to today.
The categories for the 2016 Asphalt Merit Awards are:
- New/ Reconditioning/ Reconstruction – High Traffic Volume
- Resurfacing/ Thin Overlay – High Traffic Volume
- Resurfacing/ Thin Overlay – Low Traffic Volume
- County/ Municipal – Federal Aid Secondary
- County/ Municipal – Urban State Aid
- County/ Municipal – Rural State Aid
- County Roads (Local Funds Only)
- Key Airport
- Intermediate Airport
TH 11 (Baudette) – District 2
Contractor: Anderson Brothers
RESURFACE – HIGH TRAFFIC VOLUME
TH 35 (New Brighton, Roseville) – Metro District
Contractor: North Valley, Inc.
RESURFACE – LOW TRAFFIC VOLUME
TH 14 (Olmsted & Winona County) – District 6
Contractor: Rochester Sand & Gravel
FEDERAL AID SECONDARY
CSAH 23 (St. Louis County) – District 1
Agency: St. Louis County Highway Department
Contractor: Northland Constructors of Duluth, LLC
URBAN STATE AID
CSAH 4 (Washington County) – Metro District
Agency: Washington County
Contractor: Valley Paving, Inc.
RURAL STATE AID
CSAH 2 (Cook County Highway Department) – District 1
Agency: Cook County
Contractor: Northland Constructors of Duluth
COUNTY ROADS (LOCAL FUNDS ONLY)
CSAH 11 (Sherburne County) – District 3
Agency: Sherburne County
Contractor: Knife River Corporation – North Central
St. Paul Downtown Airport – Metro District
Agency: Metropolitan Airports Commission, S.E.H., Inc.
Contractor: Hardrives Inc & Max Steininger Inc
Hutchinson Municipal Airport
Agency: City of Hutchinson & Bolton-Menk Inc.
Contractor: Duininck, Inc.
Litchfield Municipal Airport
Agency: City of Litchfield & Bolton-Menk Inc.
Contractor: Duininck, Inc.
MN Industry Ecological Commendation Awards
The Ecological Commendation Awards program recognizes asphalt pavement production facilities that best demonstrate safe and responsible environmental practices. Facilities are judged on their design layout, clean operation, conducted tours for neighborhoods/local community groups/school groups and appearance. Earning the Ecological Commendation serves as a signal to the employees and neighbors that an asphalt pavement facility is a good neighbor.
The 2016 Industry Ecological Commendation Awards winners are:
Bituminous Roadways (3 Plants)
- Inver Grove Heights Plant
- Minneapolis Plant
- Shakopee Plant
Commercial Asphalt Co. (10 Plants)
- Burnsville Plant No. 2
- Empire Plant No. 3
- Maple Grove Plant No. 4
- Red Rock Plant No. 5
- Ramsey Plant No. 6
- Scandia Plant No. 7
- Elk River Plant No. 8
- Blaine Plant No. 9
- Jackson Plant No. 11
- Eden Prairie No. 12
Hardrives, Inc. (7 Plants)
- Plant #201
- Plant #301
- Plant #401
- Plant #501
- Plant #601
- Plant #701
- Plant #801
Mathy Construction Co. (4 Plants)
- Rochester Sand & Gravel Plant 53
- Dunn Blacktop Co. Plant 66
- Rochester Sand & Gravel Plant 77
- Crane Creek Asphalt Plant 85